Thursday, January 24, 2008

Be My Valentine Chocolate Cake



This cake actually had another name, which has been lost. I named it "Be My Valentine Cake "because when I was in Jr. High in Monroe Louisiana, I baked this cake for my boyfriend,for Valentines day. I then proceeded to take it to school on the school bus, carrying it on a foil covered large cookie sheet. What made this a great" Valentine " was that I baked in a round and square pan(directions below) and made it in the shape of a Valentine. Since the cake is a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting....think of chocolate...Valentines Candy......I decorated it in red. I actually wrote my boyfriends name and Be My Valentine on the cake. So it was a cake Valentine....or a Valentine Cake.

I decided to post this cake not only because V.D. is approaching, but because the recipe also calls for buttermilk, which if you follow my previous post on "Buttermilk Pie" and baked it, you have buttermilk leftover. Since we have already established that we ain't going to be drinking it....lets use it up in this recipe which calls for 1 3/4 cups of buttermilk.
This is YmmmmGOOD.......Enjoy


Be My Valentine Chocolate Cake

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick of butter)
  • 4 squares (1 oz each) unsweetened chocolate
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups of buttermilk(that's a lot of buttermilk but wait and see how good it makes this cake)
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla
  • 2 1/2 cups sifted self-rising flour
  • 2 cups of sugar
  • Dark Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 8 inch sq.pans, or two 9 inch round pans. ( if you are making the Valentine Shape you will use 1 sq pan and 1 round pan,see diagram below). Combine butter and chocolate in a small saucepan. Melt over low heat; remove pan from heat and set mixture aside to cool. Beat eggs in mixing bowl with electric mixer for about 2 minutes on medium speed. Blend in buttermilk and vanilla. Add flour and sugar to buttermilk mixture;beat until well blended. Stir in chocolate mixture. Pour batter in prepared pans. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until cake begins to pull away from the side of the pan and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Then frost.

Dark Chocolate Frosting:

  • 2 cup (1stick of butter)
  • 4 squares 1 oz each of unsweetened chocolate
  • 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar(about 1 lb)
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine butter and chocolate in medium saucepan. Melt over low heat, remove pan from heat. Gradually blend in sugar, milk, salt and vanilla. Beat until smooth.


To make the valentine shape cut the round cake in half. Turn the square per the diagrams above. Put frosting between the half rounds and place against the square cake. Frost top and sides of cake. Decorate as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment