Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Cajun Spicy Eggplant Casserole

For those of you who are not fond of eggplant, which by the way is really good for you, I suggest this recipe, since the eggplant is disguised. It is a hardy dish that my Mother served with her "pecan onion green beans," I will blog that recipe later").

This is a fairly easy recipe to make, just a little preparation time. I usually cook my eggplant one day, and put the casserole together the next day. This really makes it a quick dish. It is a good dish to take to covered dinners and I assure you (except if you live in Louisiana) no one else will bring it. It is something different, and very tasty. I do at times top the casserole with cheddar cheese, instead of the Parmesan cheese, add a few more calories.....and if I am really into comfort food, I will use Velveeta. Try it both ways and see which one you prefer. Let me know how you feel about eggplant once you have tried the recipe.


Cajun Spicy Eggplant Casserole

4 medium size eggplants
1 can tomato paste
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp.basil
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 Tbsp
1lb ground beef
1 can tomato paste
Seasoned Bread crumbs
Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese
Paprika


Cut eggplants into large cubes, boil until tender. Drain extremely well, preferably overnight. Meanwhile, saute tomato, onion, pepper and garlic in hot oil. cook ground meat separately and drain off extra grease. Add tomato paste to meat in pan and cook on low heat until paste begins to darken and thicken. Add all vegetables and basil to meat mixture and drained eggplant cubes. Mix thoroughly, add salt and cayenne pepper to taste, and add bread crumbs until mixture is not mushy but has some texture. Spoon into large baking dish, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes or until well done and the top is browned. You can use a cheddar, american, or velveeta cheese if you like. Experiment.

In the future I will be posting:
Cajun Style Macaroni & Cheese,(real comfort food),
Crawfish Etouffee,
Dirty Rice,
Shrimp Creole

No comments:

Post a Comment